East Quabbin Land Trust
Hubbardston, Massachusetts 01452
Henrys Grove webpage
Henrys Grove map
|Bar Charts by Season by Month|
Henry’s Grove is a 94 acre woodland on Lombard Road in Hubbardston. The land was purchased in the 1950s by Henry Howe as a woodlot. The land was severely impacted by the 1938 Hurricane and much of the lumber was salvaged with a portable sawmill. The Howes began the restoration by planting conifers – such as spruce, fir, and pine – on the open land.
In 2016, Mr. Howe’s daughters, Judith Bothwell and Joyce Lofgren, placed a Watershed Preservation Restriction (WPR) on the land and donated the property to the East Quabbin Land Trust. Funding for the WPR came from the U.S. Forest Service Forest Legacy Program as part of the Quabbin Reservoir to Wachusett Mountain Grant, which protected 3,000+ acres in central Massachusetts, including Henry’s Grove.
The East Quabbin Land Trust will continue the Howe family stewardship principles for high-quality forest products, diverse wildlife habitat,s and allow public recreation. The trail network will expand to have a figure-8 allowing walkers, bird watchers, and other passive recreationists to enjoy the rolling landscape and wetland meadows along the Ware River.
From Henrys Grove webpage