Sudbury Valley Trustees
Westborough, Massachusetts 01581
Walkup and Robinson Memorial Reservation webpage
Walkup and Robinson Memorial Reservation map
|Bar Charts by Season by Month|
This reservation was left to Sudbury Valley Trustees in 1980 by Lawrence Walkup, a farmer and lifelong resident of Westborough. It is a memorial to his parents and to the four generations of his family who farmed the land.
The property includes mixed hardwood and conifers and old pasture uplands, an open field with a wet meadow, a wooded wetland with vernal pools, and a small pond.
The trails are color-coded and include a red loop, known as “The Jogging Trail,” that winds its way around the perimeter of the reservation. Due to development in the surrounding industrial district, the reservation is now an island of open space. The lack of connection to other conserved areas somewhat diminishes its value as a wildlife habitat but increases its importance as a quiet oasis. The remains of the Boston-Worcester trolley line, which opened in 1903 and was abandoned in 1931, bisects the property. This trolley line featured electric cars that were better able to manage the steeper grades of Newton’s Hill than were steam railroads. A gap was left in the embankment of the trolley line, presumably because farmer Walkup’s father wanted a cattle pass that would let his herd move safely under the right-of-way. The trolley was abandoned in 1931, but the straight central trail follows its old right-of-way, crossing the cattle pass on a new footbridge built by SVT.
From Walkup and Robinson Memorial Reservation webpage