South Kingston, Rhode Island 02881
East Matunuck State Beach web site
History of East Matunuck State Beach
|Bar Charts by Season by Month|
About East Matunuck State Beach
From the Hurricane of 1938 through successive storms in 1954 and 1955, light-weight and well-built structures along this coastline were from time to time swept away. Beginning in 1956 the State Department of Public Works began acquiring storm-ravaged land by public condemnation. Additional purchases by the state occurred in 1967, and the Division of Parks and Recreation, now in DEM, built a modern beach facility and took over the care and maintenance of the beach, totaling more than 144 acres. It is formally known as East Matunuck State Beach.
From East Matunuck State Beach webpage